America's First Great Dam
428 Main Street
Sharing the history of the America’s First Great Dam and celebrating the Miracle on the Mississippi with interactive displays and exhibits.
Old US 218
Built in 1870, this one room school house remains one of the oldest school buildings in Lee County. Tours available by appointment.
1701 J Street
During the Civil War, Keokuk’s unique location made it a staging ground for seven Union regimens and led to the formation of seven military hospitals, including Estes House. Those that were gravely injured found a final resting place in the cemetery, which saw its first burial in 1861.
Keokuk Geodes: The Bevard Collection
428 Main Street
Housed at the Keokuk Area Convention and Tourism Bureau, the Bevard Collection once belonged to local business owners Glen and Bertha Bevard. The collection includes a variety of Keokuk Geodes, all of which were found within 30 miles of the city limits.
Keokuk Union Depot
100 Mississippi Drive
Designed in 1981 by famed Chicago architecture firm, Burnham & Root, the depot served five railroads that converged in Keokuk. Its distinctive features including the clay tile roof and copper finials, oak paneled waiting room, cathedral ceiling, and hexagonal ticket booth add to the building’s charm. Listed on the National Register of Historic places in 2013, an extensive preservation effort is currently underway.
1802 Carroll Street
Stand near the entrance of the historic portion of the National Cemetery and the entrance of the Oakland Cemetery. The gray granite and marble memorial is engraved with the scenes representing each branch of the service.
George M Verity
Built in Dubuque, Iowa by the US Government in 1927 to revive river transportation, the George M. Verity paddleboat was retired from service and donated to the city of Keokuk in 1961. Tours daily from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
319 N 5th
Now owned by Lee County Iowa Historical Society, the home was built by Samuel L. Miller in 1859. Three years later, Miller was appointed to the US Supreme Court by Abraham Lincoln and served until his death in 1890. Tours on Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.